You’ve decided to do it–you are going to start engaging in social media for your business. Good decision!
Now…where do you start?
Select your platform.
Sure, you can post on every platform, but it’s important to not bite off more than you can chew. Start with one platform, two if you are feeling ambitious.
Take some time to do your research to see which platform is right for you. A bit about the more popular sites:
- According to a recent Pew Research Center survey, 68% of US adults use Facebook, making it the second highest (after Youtube) social media platform.
- Facebook allows you to post updates, pictures, video, and promotions. It also allows you to stream live video.
- Users are able to leave reviews for your business, among other things.
- The same Pew Research Center survey showed 35% of US adults actively using Instagram.
- This is a great option if you are a highly visual business—the platform is for sharing photos and videos.
- 24% of US adults are active on Twitter according to Pew Research.
- You are limited to 280 characters, and can post some pictures and video.
- LinkedIn, Pinterest, Snapchat, etc.
- There are plenty of other social media platforms to choose from!
Have a plan.
Start by thinking through what you are trying to achieve. Do you want to raise awareness? Build customers? Retain existing customers?
Once you’ve put together your plan, think through a regular posting schedule. Be realistic. If you are very busy, it probably won’t make sense to try to post multiple times a day (or even a week!). Put together a workable schedule for you. It is better to start off with one post every week (or every other week) and build to more than to start off posting daily and find that you can’t sustain it.
Now that you have a posting schedule, you need to determine post content. This can highlight different products/services, include promotions, show “behind the scenes”, and much more. If you need some help, we will explore some content ideas by industry in a future blog.
Let people know.
Now that you are active on social media, it is important to let people know. Add a link to your social media page(s) to your website, your email footer, your register tape, signs at your business, etc. Send out an email to your existing customers letting them know that you are on social media (and maybe even inviting them to follow you for access to exclusive offers, etc). It might take awhile for momentum to build—but don’t give up!
Keep an eye on the results.
In the beginning, there will be some trial and error involved in terms of the posts that are the most effective, and the days/times that most engage your customers. Keep an eye on number of likes, shares, etc to see what is working (and what’s not). Tweak as necessary.
And if you just don’t have the time (or desire!) to do this yourself, we are here to help–from developing your social media page(s), to creating and posting content. Contact us anytime at 877-222-6279 or email@example.com to learn more.